Last Updated: Nov 17, 2017
- The Practical Archivist
Archivist Sally Jacobs gives real-world hints and tips for preserving personal papers.
- ALA's Preservation Week
- The Library of Congress' Preservation Section
Click on "Caring for your Collections" for specific information about different types of materials, such as paper, photographs, books, etc.
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Historic Works
Find a professional conservator for your specific project. This site also has specific information about caring for different types of materials, such as metals, ceramics, textiles, etc.
- Northeast Document Conservation Center
Tons of great, practical information about preservation.
- Media Life Expectancy
Good basic information from U. Mass., though a little out of date. Has a nice chart comparing the life expectancy of paper, film, cds, etc.
- Alexander Architectural Archive > Storage and Care of Architectural Records
Basics of preserving Architectural records
Film to video preservation. Has a looonnnggg white paper on best practices.
- Audio best practices
From Indiana University
- The Society of American Archivists MayDay Project
Every year, the SAA encourages archivists to use May Day as a time to think about emergency preparations. This site has helpful information about how to protect your materials before a disaster strikes.
Brief online guides distributed by the National Park Service that discuss methods of caring for all kinds of materials. See Conserve-O-Gram 19/3 for “Use and Handling of Rare Books.”
- CoOL (Conservation OnLine)
Site sponsored by the Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (FAIC) covering a wide variety of conservation topics.
- Preservation 101
An online guide about preservation care for paper and media collections.
- Stored Alive
An interactive website showing how time and storage environments impact different objects.
- Emergency Response and Salvage Wheel on itunes
The popular Emergency Response and Salvage Wheel from Heritage Preservation Inc. is now available as an itunes download. This app gives quick, basic information about what to do with different types of materials after a disaster. Very handy!
- Image Permanence Institute
Offers technical information about how photographs and digital images are created and guides to preserving images. Helpful publications include: "A Consumer Guide to Traditional and Digital Print Stability" and "A Consumer Guide for the Recovery of Water-Damaged Traditional and Digital Prints."
- Connecting to Collections
Online community of solid preservation information.
Do you need a book re-bound or repaired? Try these companies:
- Norris Bookbinding Company, Greenwood, Miss.
- Houchen Bindery, Utica, Neb.
- Walter W. Eckert Bookbinding
941 Lafayette Street
New Orleans, LA 70113
- Octavaye, Ft. Worth, Tex.
- New Orleans Book & Paper Lab
- Restore-A-Book, Oil City, La.
- All the Fixings, New Orleans, La.