Last Updated: Jun 9, 2014
Can't find a book or article?
Request it through the library's interlibrary loan department. All books requested will be delivered from another lending library free of charge.
- Background Notes
These publications include facts about the land, people, history, government, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations of independent states, some dependencies, and areas of special sovereignty. The Background Notes are updated/revised by the Office of Electronic Information and Publications of the Bureau of Public Affairs as they are received from the Department's regional bureaus.
- BBC Country Profiles
Full profiles provide an instant guide to history, politics and economic background of countries and territories, and background on key institutions.
They also include audio and video clips from BBC archives.
- CIA World Fact Book
The World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities.
- Country Studies
By the Library of Congress, presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world.
Federal government site featuring tools for compiling datasets across multiple sources. Especially relevant is the geodata catalog.
An online collection of information regarding the environmental, social, and economic trends that shape our world, from the World Resources Institute.
- National Geographic Maps
A web-based map building application which allows you to customize and print.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
The standard summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- Visions of Humanity
Visions of Humanity is a zoomable Flash world map of Global Peace Index (GPI) rankings. Users can browse and compare "peace indicators," such as crime, incarceration, gun violence, etc.
- World Population Datasheet
2010 World Population Datasheet published by the Population Reference Bureau.
A collection of computer-generated statistical maps.
- Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America
The Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America assembles statistics on four broad categories of socioeconomic factors:
- People: Demographic data from the latest American Community Survey, including age, race and ethnicity, migration and immigration, education, household size and family composition. Data have been added on veterans, including service period, education, unemployment, income, and demographic characteristics.
- Jobs: Economic data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources, including information on employment trends, unemployment, industrial composition, and household income.
- Agriculture: Indicators from the latest Census of Agriculture, including number and size of farms, operator characteristics, off-farm income, and government payments.
- County classifications: The rural-urban continuum, economic dependence, persistent poverty, population loss, onshore oil/natural gas counties, and other ERS county codes.
- Association of American Geographers
The Association of American Geographers (AAG) is a nonprofit scientific and educational society founded in 1904. For 100 years the AAG has contributed to the advancement of geography.
- North American Cartographic Information Society
A not-for-profit organization founded in 1980 to promote communication, coordination and cooperation among the producers, disseminations, curators, and users of cartographic information.
Scholarly vs. Popular Periodicals: What’s the Difference?
Some assignments require you to use only scholarly journals, not popular magazines. There is no foolproof way to tell the difference. However, there are some features you can look for to help you decide if a periodical is scholarly. (Read more...)